Ignoring ministry orders lands company director in jailWritten by Jennifer Brown Tuesday, 27 November 2012
|A Ministry of Labour prosecution hasn’t resulted in the imprisonment of a corporate director for several years. (photo: Shutterstock)|
In fact, a Ministry of Labour prosecution hasn’t resulted in the imprisonment of a corporate director for several years.
The six companies owned and operated by Steve Blondin include Steven’s Inc. of Orangeville, Ont., Axcea International Inc. of Toronto, Automotive Containment Solutions Inc. of Concord, Ont., Automotive CSI Inc. of Richmond Hill, Ont., Automotive CSI — Alliston Inc., and Automotive CSI — Newmarket Inc.
Between March 2007 and October 2009, 61 employees from the six companies operated by Blondin filed claims with the Ministry of Labour for unpaid wages. An investigation by the ministry found wages were owed to all 61 employees.
Between February 2008 and April 2010, an employment standards officer issued 113 orders to the six companies and Blondin to pay over $125,000. None of the orders were paid.
However the penalties levied shouldn’t get company directors in Ontario concerned that the ministry necessarily has its sights set on them.
“This doesn’t mean it is open season on directors,” says Jason Beeho, a partner at Rubin Thomlinson. “There have always been provisions in the act for director liability and penalty. I think the sheer number of employees involved and the number of orders suggest the ministry was taking this very seriously.”
Nikfarjam says a director can be guilty of an offence if he or she fails to comply with an order to pay is issued by the Ministry of Labour. If guilty, a director can face monetary fines of up to $50,000 per offence, as well as imprisonment for up to 12 months.
Blondin and each company pleaded guilty to failing to comply with the ministry’s orders.
In addition to the jail term and fines totaling $280,000, the Ontario Court of Justice ordered Blondin and his companies earlier this month to pay the wages owing to the employees along with a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act.
The sentences were imposed by Justice of the Peace Vladimir Bubrin in Toronto.
Jennifer Brown is the editor of Canadian Lawyer InHouse. She has been a business magazine writer and editor for 10 years covering the IT, occupational health and safety, and security sectors for the business-to-business press prior to arriving at InHouse. She was also a newspaper reporter for five years in the Greater Toronto Area covering health care and education before going to work at a daily news online portal reporting on the technology sector.
Latest from Jennifer Brown
- Can RCMP pass criminal case info to law firm for civil action?
- Where employment agreements and Copyright Act collide
- GM class settlement nets class counsel judge-approved ‘premium’
- Legal Aid Alberta gets more money but challenges remain: chairman
- Canadian law prof standing firm as head of UN Gaza inquiry
Related items (by tag)
- Former teachers college employee to keep severance
- The tricky issue of jurisdiction in inter-provincial transportation
- IMAX wins $7-million victory against ex-employee who stole technology
- B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to hear TFW complaint against Timmies
- Unionized worker provides a good example of what harassment looks like
Subscribe to Legal Feeds
Gail J. Cohen