• McInnes Cooper announces Wylie Spicer will be rejoining the firm.
• Gowlings announces that financial services lawyer, Elizabeth Burton, has joined the Calgary office.
• Field Law welcomes Malkit Atwal to the wills, trusts, and estates; estate litigation and dispute resolution; and transaction and corporate groups.
• Dentons Canada LLP announces three lawyers have joined the firm. Jillian Frank joins the firm as partner, and both Claude Marchessault and Tejbir Sandhar join the firm as counsel.
• Richards Buell Sutton LLP welcomes Katrina Leung to the firm. Leung joins the firm’s business, securities, and Asia pacific practice groups.
• Bull Housser welcomes new partner Catherine Brayley and new associate Nathaniel Misri to the firm. Brayley joins the firm's tax group and Misri joins the business law group.
• Clark Wilson welcomes Monica Sharma as associate counsel to the firm. Sharma joins the technology and intellectual property groups.
• Roy Johnston TDS, the Brandon office of Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP welcomes Stephen P. Beernaert to the firm.
• Hope Buset from Christianson TDS has been appointed vice president of the Portage & District Arts Council Board.
• Bâtonnière Hélène L. Beaulieu has been elected president of the New Brunswick Law Society.
• Josh McElman has been selected as a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
• No current news.
• Lawson Lundell LLP announces the following new associate: In Yellowknife, Glen Rutland (litigation), who was with the Department of Justice of the NWT.
• Karan M. Shaner has been appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories (Yellowknife), replacing Justice D.M. Cooper, who resigned as of March 3, 2011. Shaner joined the province's ministry of justice in 1996 and was most recently its assistant deputy minister.
• Cindy Cormier has been appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia (family division).
• Cox & Palmer welcomes Carol Patterson to the firm as counsel.
• Colleen Stockley has been appointed deputy minister of health and Elizabeth A. L. Sanderson has been appointed deputy minister of justice in Nunavut. Stockley was previously the assistant deputy minister (acting) of the professional services branch of the Department of Health and Community Services in Newfoundland and Labrador. Sanderson was previously the assistant deputy attorney general, aboriginal affairs portfolio with Canada's Department of Justice.
• Gowlings announces that Robert Winogron and Jeremy Bouchard have recently joined the Ottawa office as members of the firm-wide Aboriginal law group. Winogron and Bouchard were previously legal counsel for the federal Department of Justice.
• The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) announces the appointment of Armand de Mestral as senior fellow with the think-tank’s international law research program.
• Osgoode Hall professor Poonam Puri has been appointed by Ontario’s minister of finance as the expert adviser to assist with the review of the Credit Unions and Caisses Populaires Act, 1994.
• Miller Thomson LLP welcomes Warren Kleiner to the firm as partner. Kleiner will be joining the real estate group.
• Stuart Rudner has been appointed to the board of directors for the International Association for Human Resource Information Management.
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
• No current news.
• ROBIC welcomes Charles Goyer and Steven Lam to the firm. Goyer and Lam are patent agents specialized in the field of life sciences.
• Robinson Sheppard Shapiro LLP announces Benoît G. Bourgon has joined the firm as partner. Bourgon was previously of Heenan Blaikie.
• Stikeman Elliott welcomes Pierre Dalphond to the firm as senior counsel. Dalphond will be joining the Montreal office's litigation group.
• Miller Thomson LLP announces Robert J. Kandestin has joined the firm as partner. Kandestin will be joining the insolvency group, he was previously of Kugler Kandestin.
• Judge James A. Plemel will become the Chief Judge of the Provincial Court of Saskatchewan, effective January 1, 2015. Judge Plemel will be taking over for judge C.A. Snell.
• Miller Thomson LLP welcomes Grant Bryden to the firm as associate counsel. Bryden will join the real estate group.
• No current news.
Last updated: December 12, 2014