Please send your submissions for Moves and Shakes to email@example.com
• Vogel LLP announces that Lauren Baldwin has joined the firm as an associate in its Calgary office. She was called to the bar in September.
• Vogel LLP announces that Johnny Pak and Jessica MacDonald have joined the firm as associates in its Calgary office. He was previously at McLeod Law LLP and she completed her articles with the firm after being called to the bar in August.
• Stikeman Elliott LLP announces the addition of a new partner, Chrysten E. Perry, in Calgary. She is a director of the Canadian Energy Law Foundation and a former partner at Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP.
• Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP announces that Justin Young has joined the firm as a partner in its new office in Vancouver.
• McCullough O'Connor Irwin LLP announces that Bahar Hafizi has joined the firm as a partner in its Vancouver office. Her specialty is banking, focusing primarily on debt and non-public financing. Hafizi was formerly with Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP.Miller Thomson LLP announces that Lisa Sim has joined the firm as a partner in its Vancouver office. She was previously with Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP. The firm has also named the following associates to its Vancouver office: Eric Ito, Anthony Toljanich, Alizée Bilbey, and Steven Evans. All were formerly articling students.
• Robson Hall announces that alumnus Justice Murray Sinclair has joined the University of Manitoba’s law school as its Distinguished Jurist-in-Residence for the 2016 winter term. He has worked tirelessly throughout his career for the rights of Aboriginal Peoples and for official recognition of aboriginal law. He will help shape Robson Hall’s established commitment to enacting the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s recommendations pertaining to law schools.
• Fillmore Riley LLP announces that Aron Grusko, Rachel Loewen, Brynne Thordarson and Kirk Vilks have joined the firm as associates.
• André-Guy Savoie and John Eric Pöllabauer announce the opening of their new boutique law practice in the City of Dieppe.
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
• No current news.
• No current news.
• Stewart McKelvey appoints Lydia Bugden to the position of CEO and managing partner.
• Tim Daley has been appointed Nova Scotia's newest provincial and family court judge.
• No current news.
• The Law Commission of Ontario announces the appointment of Aneurin (Nye) Thomas as the next executive director of the LCO. He will begin his term Dec. 14 following the retirement of Dr. Patricia Hughes, the LCO's founding executive director.
• KSM Law announces that Ahmed Bulbulia and Mohamed El Rashidy have joined the firm as associates in its Toronto office. Bulbulia, who specializes in civil litigation and trademark law, was previously with Macera & Jarzyna LLP. El Rashidy, who specializes in criminial and civil litigation, is a lawyer and community activist who has appeared in various media outlets as well as having served as director of the Canadian Arab Federation.
• Miller Thomson LLP announces that the following associates have joined its Toronto office: Jennifer Bush, Nora Kharouba, Phil Long, Shaun Parekh, Lauren Parrish, Victoria Rodrigues, and Corey Yermus. Long was previously with Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, while Bush, Kharouba, Parekh, Parrish, Rodrigues, and Yermus were formerly articling students. The firm has also named Pierre Soulard and Lisa Spiegel as partners in its Toronto office. Soulard was previously with Norton Rose Fulbright LLP and Spiegel was previously with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. The firm also announces that Sharon Ilavsky and Caroline Kim have joined its Kitchener-Waterloo office as associates. Ilavsky was previously with Pavey, Law and Witteveen LLP and Kim was previously with Barbra Shifler Commemorative Clinic. The firm has also added the following associates to its Kitchener-Waterloo office: Emily Durst, Robert Graham, Andrew Hentz, Jack Masterman, and Graham Parkinson. All were previously articling students at the firm.
• Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP announces that securities litigator Usman Sheikh has joined its Toronto office as a partner and member of its firm-wide Commercial Litigation and Class Actions groups. Sheikh was previously with Bennett Jones LLP. He also spent four years working in-house at the Ontario Securities Commission.
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
• No current news.
• BCF Business Law announces the addition of five new associates to its team in Montreal: Marjorie Bergeron, John Dawson, Emmanuelle Demers, Shaun E. Finn, and Valérie Marcas. Bergeron, who specializes in tax restructuring and business law, was formerly with De Chantal, D'Amour, Fortier S.E.N.C.R.L. Dawson, who specializes in U.S. immigration, is originally from the United States. Demers, Finn and Marcas were all formerly with BCF LLP. Demers handles all aspects of civil, commercial, constitutional, and administrative litigation, Finn acts in complex commercial cases and class actions, and Marcas specializes in immigration law.
• Miller Thomson LLP announces that Guy Gilain, Jasmin Lefebvre, Claude Picard, Amal Garzouzi and Steven Chaimberg have joined its Montreal office as partners. Gilain, Lefebvre, and Picard were all previously at law firm De Grandpré Chait, while Garzouzi was at Bell and Chaimberg was at Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon. The firm has also named the following associates who have joined the Montreal office: Yannick Forget, Philip Thibodeau, and Gerry Argento, all formerly with De Grandpré Chait, and Stuart Chaimberg, previously with Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon. Romain Droitcourt, Éloïse Gagné, and Stephanie Massé have also joined as associates. All were hired after articling with the firm.
• Miller Thomson LLP announces that Ahmed Malik has joined its Regina office. Malik was previously with McKercher LLP.
• Robertson Stromberg LLP announces that James D. Steele and Kelsey R. Burke have joined the firm as associates.
• Charles Morgan of McCarthy Tetrault LLP has been elected assistant secretary to the International Technology Law Association.
Last updated: Oct. 1, 2015