About the role
As an In-House Legal Counsel, Insurance Defence, working here means that you can focus on doing what you do best: being a great lawyer. With Canada’s largest in-house P&C insurance litigation team, you can say ‘goodbye!’ to business development and ‘hello!’ to work flexibility, being supported and feeling valued.
With our Legal Claims team, you’ll be at the heart of what we do best: helping people. Guided by our values of respect, integrity, excellence, being customer-driven and generosity, you’ll have the freedom to manage and be creative in your approach to resolve accident benefits, loss transfer and priority dispute files.
This is a full-time permanent opportunity based in Toronto or Mississauga.
What you’ll do here:
- Work with autonomy in your practice and collaborate with a high-performing team of lawyers, adjusters, and legal support professionals – the best in the industry
- Help Intact achieve strategic goals related to indemnity and expense control
- Handle casualty and property insurance defence files of varying complexities from beginning to end
- Appear before all levels of court including attending on motions and at trial
- Handle accident benefits disputes, loss transfer and priority dispute files from beginning to end
- Appear before the License Appeal Tribunal and prepare written and oral submissions as needed
- Assess claims with a focus on controlling indemnity but, at the same time, be pragmatic with a view to proactive and efficient resolution
- Share knowledge and coach your Intact colleagues both inside and outside your department
What you bring to the table:
- Strong organization, communication and negotiation skills that will help you manage a busy practice, including working effectively with legal support staff including legal assistants, law clerks, and administrative support employees
- Strong interpersonal skills, a natural ability to work collaboratively with others and to build effective client relationships that will make you a great team player and contribute to the positive work environment
- An ability to think outside the box, find novel solutions and be a pragmatic problem solver
The ideal candidate is/has:
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Proven experience in assessing and handling Accident Benefits files
- Experience at the Licence Appeal Tribunal
- Experience in attending private arbitrations would be considered an asset
- Experience handling catastrophic accident benefit claims is an asset
- Proficient and comfortable with digital solutions in the practice of law
- Competency with drafting pleadings, research and analysis, conducting discoveries and preparing for and conducting mediations and all litigation steps up to and including trial
- Excellent communication and negotiator skills
- Ability to periodically travel throughout Ontario to defend claims
What we offer
Working here means you'll be empowered to be and do your best every day. Here is some of what you can expect as a permanent member of our team:
- A financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan; we match 50% of net shares purchased
- An extensive flex pension and benefits package, with access to virtual healthcare
- Flexible work arrangements
- Possibility to purchase up to 5 extra days off per year
- An annual wellness account that promotes an active and healthy lifestyle
- Access to tools and resources to support physical and mental health, embracing change and connecting with colleagues
- A dynamic workplace learning ecosystem complete with learning journeys, interactive online content, and inspiring programs
- Inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities
- Inspiring leaders and colleagues who will lift you up and help you grow
- A Community Impact program, because what you care about is a part of what makes you different. And how you contribute to your community should be just as unique.
We are an equal opportunity employer
At Intact, we value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected, and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please let us know when we reach out about a job opportunity. We’ll work with you to meet your needs.