This week’s update on resources shared by law firms addressing the impact of COVID-19
Law firms across Canada continue to share their insights on the evolving legal and economic landscape resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. Below is a roundup of some of these resources.
In “Temporary Layoff and Constructive Dismissal Relief for Ontario Employers Extended to 2021,” McMillan describes Ontario’s extension of the applicability period for certain measures to limit the risk of a temporary layoff or wage reduction becoming a permanent dismissal or being deemed a constructive dismissal under the Employment Standards Act, 2000.
- Update: Ontario Resumes Limitation Periods and Procedural Deadlines
- The Uncertain Consequences of Waiving Consequential Damages in M&A Agreements
Miller Thomson LLP
In “How does Ontario’s termination of the COVID Emergency affect annual members meetings and other corporate meetings of Ontario Corporations Act corporations?” Miller Thomson sheds light on how the end of the emergency in Ontario affects the ability of not-for-profit and charitable corporations to conduct virtual members’ meetings and directors’ meetings.
- Ontario extends temporary layoff provisions
- COVID-19: Cross country update (August 29 – September 3, 2020)
- Tarion’s response to COVID-19
Dentons Canada LLP
In “The New Dynamic: Dentons revisits its pick of Canadian regulatory trends to watch in 2020,” Dentons provides an update on regulatory trends to anticipate in Canada resulting from the effects of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Retail: country-by-country summary of the impact of COVID-19 (updated Sept. 4)
- IRCC establishes temporary public policy allowing visitors to apply for a work permit without leaving Canada
- Episode 5: Paid sick leave for Canadian workers
Bennett Jones LLP
In “B.C. Carbon Tax Increase Delayed Further Due to COVID-19,” Bennett Jones writes about the B.C. government’s announcement of the delayed implementation dates for changes to the B.C. Carbon Tax and Provincial Sales Tax in light of the public health crisis.
- Jason Roth on Government Infrastructure Priorities and COVID-19
- What a Pandemic Means for Mining Companies and Their Counsel
- Pension Regulatory Guidance and Measures Related to COVID-19 Pandemic (updated Aug. 31)
Mann Lawyers LLP
In “Canada’s Care of Businesses During the COVID-19 Pandemic (updated September 2, 2020),” Mann Lawyers provides an update in connection with its resource detailing the federal government’s measures to aid businesses that are facing financial challenges amid the pandemic.
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program (Updated August 5, 2020)
- Holding Annual Director and Shareholder Meetings During the COVID-19 Pandemic (updated August 14, 2020)
MLT Aikins LLP
In “Federal Government Announces Proposed Transition Plan for CERB Recipients,” MLT Aikins discusses Canada’s announcement of the planned transition to modified Employment Insurance benefits and other new programs.
- Phase Four of Manitoba’s Reopening Plan
- Manitoba’s Plan for Reopening Businesses
- Manitoba Issues Updated Public Health Orders Imposing Self-Isolation for Persons Entering Manitoba and Removing Restrictions on Travel to Northern Manitoba and Remote Communities
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
In “Ontario Extends Deemed Infectious Disease Emergency Leave,” Cassels Brock details the Ontario government’s announced extension of the COVID-19 period, which it described as “welcome news for Ontario employers who are not yet able to recall employees back to work or restore their hours and wages.”
- Extension of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit and New Income Support Programs
- A Tenant’s Perspective – Re-Evaluating Your Company’s Real Estate Needs During the Pandemic
- What’s My (Action’s) Age Again? Don’t Blink, 182-day Statutory Timeline and Limitation Period Freeze Ends September 14
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP
In “New CEWS rules are complicated and CRA’s updated online calculator can help,” DLA Piper shares information on the Canada Revenue Agency’s updated online calculator, which seeks to help businesses which are applying for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program.
- COVID-19 infectious disease emergency leave extended in Ontario; temporary layoffs delayed until January 2, 2021
- Expiry of temporary suspension of shareholder meeting deadlines in Alberta
- COVID-19 Federal Benefit Access Tool (Canada)
In “Beyond the border: Immigration update – September 2020,” Stewart McKelvey introduces the third installment of its publication containing immigration-related information relevant to employers of foreign workers in Canada.
- COVID-19 immigration update (updated Sept. 1)
- Newfoundland and Labrador mandates masks in workplaces
- New Brunswick’s new Enduring Powers of Attorney Act
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
In “Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy: An Updated Guide for Businesses,” Davies reviews and analyzes the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program and provides updates on the program.
- COVID-19 and the Courts: What You Need to Know (updated Sept. 1)
- National Security Review Timelines for Foreign Investments in Canada Temporarily Extended Due to COVID-19
In “Is It Possible to Successfully Challenge a COVID-19 Statement of Offence?” BCF provides a link to partner Isabelle Landry’s discussion on a radio program of defences to a COVID-19-related statement of offence.