The federal government will finance programs to raise awareness of sustainability goals
The Government of Canada is working together with its national and international partners to advance the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to build a more peaceful, inclusive, and prosperous world. The agenda includes 17 sustainable development goals that aim to address today's most pressing social, economic and environmental challenges, including poverty, inequality and climate change.
The government has announced the launch of the 2023 call for proposals under the Sustainable Development Goals Funding Program. Financial assistance will be provided to eligible businesses in the form of grants or contributions. A total of approximately $3.5 million per year for three years will be allocated for this round of funding. The expected results of this call for proposal are to fund projects that will increase public awareness of the SDGs, particularly within equity-deserving groups or individuals in vulnerable populations, as well as to measure and report on the SDGs at the community level.
This funding opportunity aims to support the federal government's implementation of the 2030 agenda by strengthening partnerships and engagement with Canadians. Organizations are invited to apply for funding for projects that:
- aim to localize SDGs in communities, to adapt, employ and monitor progress of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at the local level and to measure and report on the SDGs;
- increase public awareness and share best practices or lessons learned that support and enhance Canada's progress on the 2030 Agenda, particularly within equity-deserving groups and groups or individuals in vulnerable situations;
- foster new and established partnerships bridging efforts across sectors;
- foster and integrate Indigenous and local knowledge into approaches and efforts; and
- explore new and innovative approaches and investment for SDGs.
The call for proposals is open until January 12, 2024.
"The Sustainable Development Goals provide us with concrete milestones that we are currently working towards to build a stronger, safer, and more inclusive Canada,” said Jenna Sudds, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development. “The launch of the call for proposals for the Sustainable Development Funding Program is an invitation to access federal support to increase awareness and report on the SDGs at the community level. I strongly believe that by working together, we will help build a sustainable future and advance progress on the 2030 Agenda."
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is a 15-year global framework adopted by Canada and all other United Nations member states in 2015. It sets out a 15-year plan to achieve the goals.