Nominations are open now
Nominations are open for the 2024 Canadian Law Awards.
The awards will mark five years of honouring the Canadian legal profession’s top law firms and in-house legal teams, the most outstanding lawyers, and the most significant deals and cases. The Canadian Law Awards recognizes those individuals and organizations who have demonstrated excellence and made significant contributions to the legal profession.
With event partner LEAP, award sponsors Toronto Metropolitan University’s Lincoln Alexander School of Law and Singleton Reynolds, and supporting organization South Asian Bar Association of Toronto, the awards are a true reflection of the Canadian legal community’s highest standards and accomplishments throughout the last year.
Nominations opened on Nov. 27 and will stay open until Feb. 2, 2024, at 11:59 pm EST. Nominations must be submitted via the Canadian Law Awards online nominations portal to be considered.
The award categories are:
Deals and cases
- Capital Markets Deal of the Year
- Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year
- Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year
- M&A Deal of the Year
- Mid-Market Deal of the Year
- Commercial Litigation Team of the Year
- The Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP Award for Construction, Infrastructure and
- Transportation Law Department of the Year
- Banking & Financial Institutions Law Department of the Year
- Canadian Law Department of the Year
- Law Department Leader of the Year
- Law Department Innovation
- Lifetime Achievement in the Legal Profession – In-House
- The LEAP Legal Software Award for Family Law Firm of the Year
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution Boutique Law Firm of the Year
- Boutique Law Firm of the Year
- Best Use of Technology in a Law Firm
- Regional Law Firm of the Year
- Litigator of the Year
- Managing Partner of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement in the Legal Profession – Private Practice
Legal profession awards
- The Lincoln Alexander School of Law Award for Shaping the Future
- Pro Bono Initiative of the Year
- Diversity Initiative of the Year
- Female Trailblazer of the Year (In House Counsel/Private Practice)
The winners will be announced at the Canadian Law Awards Gala on May 9 at the Liberty Grand in Toronto. The night begins at 6 pm with a cocktail reception. The awards ceremony and dinner banquet begin at 7:30. And from 10:30 pm onwards, there is a post-awards party.
Once nominations are submitted, the Canadian Law Awards team will conduct research and refer to industry knowledge and information gained through its publications, Lexpert and Canadian Lawyer, to arrive at a list of Excellence Awardees.
The Canadian Law Awards team will notify Excellence Awardees and announce them between March and April 2024. The team’s independent panel of judges, all esteemed members of Canada’s legal community, will assess and score the submission of each Excellence Awardee according to the criteria of the applicable category. The scores will be aggregated to produce a winner in each category, which will be announced at the awards gala. Winners will also be featured in an exclusive Lexpert digital feature on the awards.