Several law firms welcome the new year with a round of promotions
Welcome to this week’s roundup of movements among major law firms, in which we sum up significant hires, promotions, departures, and other announcements.
DLA Piper LLP
The firm welcomed Matthew Demeo, Richard Mar and Titus Totan to partnership, effective January 1, 2023.
Demeo joined the employment and labour group in 2020. He advises employers on complex workplace issues and advocates for them in negotiations and legal disputes, having appeared before labour arbitrations, administrative tribunals and at the Ontario and Federal courts. In the past, he has acted as lead spokesperson in collective bargaining negotiations and assisted employers in crises, including in response to union organizing campaigns and strikes.
Mar joined the intellectual property and technology group in 2019. He assists with all aspects of acquisition, transfer and protection of intellectual property rights with a concentration on patent counselling and prosecution. Richard has considerable experience with drafting and prosecuting patent applications and developing a global patent filing strategy for clients in a wide variety of technology areas.
Totan joined the employment and labour group in 2017. He provides advice on a broad range of workplace matters, including employment and contractor agreements, incentive and equity entitlements, workplace investigations, performance management, disability management, workplace policies, occupational health and safety, workers’ compensation and human rights. He represents clients at all stages of the litigation/complaint process before Ontario courts and tribunals.
Folger, Rubinoff LLP
April Gougeon joined the firm as an associate in its privacy and data protection group.
Her practice focuses on assisting clients in the implementation and preparation of appropriate privacy policies and practices, privacy management programs, conducting privacy audits, and responding to privacy complaints and investigations.
Prior to joining Foglers, Gougeon was most recently a senior advisor and senior strategic policy and research analyst at the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC). She has worked at the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), the Unsolicited Telecommunications Rules, and the Competition Bureau Canada.
The firm welcomed counsel Katie Sykes and associate Narges Naseri to its Vancouver office last month.
Skyes is part of the research and opinions group, where she conducts legislative and policy analysis and drafts legal opinions on a broad spectrum of topics.
Meanwhile, Naseri is part of the corporate finance and securities group, where he advises public and private companies on capital market transactions, corporate reorganizations, public offerings and private placements.
The firm elevated 13 new lawyers to partnership, effective January 1.
- Karine Bilodeau, Corporate Group in Montréal
- Adam Drori, Tax Group in Montréal
- Victor Gerchikov, Corporate Group in Vancouver
- Aude Godfroy, Banking & Finance Group in Montréal
- Khalfan Khalfan, Employment & Labour Group in Toronto
- Nathaniel Lacasse, Tax Group in Montréal
- John Lee, Mergers & Acquisitions Group in Toronto
- Charlie McDonald, Corporate Group in Vancouver
- Lee Nicholson, Restructuring & Insolvency Group in Toronto
- John O’Connor, Tax Group in Toronto
- Dominique Rolland, Corporate Group in Montréal
- Shawn Smith, Technology Group in Toronto
- Hélia Taheri, Corporate Group in Montréal
Meanwhile, Patrick Welsh also joined the firm as a new environmental partner in the Toronto office. He advises clients on commercial transactions, including land transactions, domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity offerings, and insolvencies and restructurings.
Prior to joining Stikeman Elliott, Welsh was co-chair of the environmental, social and governance practice at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP.
Waddell Phillips Professional Corporation
Associate Tina Yang is promoted to the partnership, effective January 1.
Her practice is focused on the prosecution of diverse, ground-breaking class actions – from mass terminations to institutional negligence, consumer protection, and beyond, having represented clients before all levels of court in Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia, as well as the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal.
Prior to joining Waddell Phillips, Yang practiced at other top class action boutiques in Toronto. She is a serves as a member of the Ontario Class Actions Bench-Bar Liaison Committee and sits on the executive of the Toronto branch of the Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund.
The firm elected 31 partners and one counsel in North America, effective January 1, with three based in Canada
- Jennifer Bernardo, Employment & Compensation in Toronto
- Bonnie Tsui, Transactional in Toronto
- Andrew Morreale, Tax in Toronto
Partners based elsewhere
- Stephanie Arias Marruffo, Transactional in Mexico City
- Tanner Bodine, Transactional in Dallas
- Justin Bryant, Transactional in Palo Alto
- Maria Jose Casillas-Gonzalez, Employment & Compensation in Guadalajara
- Young-Eun Choi, Tax in San Francisco
- Amanda Cohen, Employment & Compensation in San Francisco
- Jennifer Cohen, Transactional in Chicago
- Benjamin Davis, Litigation & Government Enforcement in Miami
- Luis M. de Alva, International Commercial in Mexico City
- Laura Estrada-Vásquez, Transactional in New York City
- Stas Getmanenko, Tax in Dallas
- Jessica Greenwald, Intellectual Property & Technology in Dallas
- Bob Hammill, Tax in Palo Alto
- Drew Hemmings, Tax in Chicago
- Gudrun Juffer, Transactional in Chicago
- Carlos Larios-Duarte, Transactional in Tijuana
- Mike Lehrman, Litigation & Government Enforcement in Chicago
- Nandu Machiraju, Litigation & Government Enforcement in Washington, DC
- Roberto Macias-Saltijeral, Transactional in Guadalajara
- Gabriela Marroquín-García, Transactional in Juarez
- Javier Navarro-Treviño, Litigation & Government Enforcement in Monterrey
- Veronica Rejon-Avina, International Commercial in Guadalajara
- Ross Staine, Tax in Houston
- Daniel Villanueva-Plasencia, Intellectual Property & Technology in Guadalajara
- Mark G. Weiss, Litigation & Government Enforcement in Washington, DC
- Sali Wissa, Transactional in Chicago
- Laura Zimmerman, Litigation & Government Enforcement in New York City
- Sahar Zomorodi, Tax in New York City
- Brian Stanton, Employment & Compensation in San Francisco
Submit all your law firm news, including appointments, moves and other professional news, to our legal publications by filling out this form.
You may also send information here.