Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) is a community of 15,000 staff, physicians, residents, researchers and volunteers that proudly serves southwestern Ontario. As Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system and the only provider in the province with care from pre-birth to end of life, we offer endless opportunities. Our multi-site hospital network has over 1,400 beds and offers world-leading expertise in many areas, including cardiac and stroke care, cancer care, palliative care, and pediatrics.
We are the largest employer in the greater Hamilton region and play a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with our academic partners including McMaster University and Mohawk College. We are a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research. We focus on improving the quality of care for our patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. Our culture of exploration and innovation has attracted top research talent from across Canada and beyond, and HHS has been recognized as one of Canada’s top employers for young people and as a top employer for the Hamilton/Niagara region for 2023.
Vice President, Legal Services, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
An integral member of the executive leadership team, the Vice President, Legal Services, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary is responsible for proactively and efficiently managing the legal affairs of the organization and providing advice with respect to legal issues, regulatory and statutory compliance, and to also support and ensure the integrity and the effective governance of the organization. Risk identification, management and mitigation are integral aspects of this role. Further, this position leads the overall strategic and operational direction of the Privacy Office.
Legal Advice and Strategic Support
- Advises HHS Leadership, HHS Committees, HHS Board of Directors, and the Hamilton Health Sciences Research Institute (HHSRI) Board on all legal matters—including, but not limited to, governance matters, risk oversight, litigation, human rights, contractual language, privacy and freedom of information policy, and general regulatory compliance.
- Provides strategic recommendations and insight through a legal lens to HHS Leadership, HHS Committees, HHS Board of Directors, and the HHSRI Board.
- Provides oversight of enterprise risk management across various departments and identifies risks across multiple clinical and non-clinical portfolios and provides risk management and mitigation strategies to senior leaders.
- Oversees insurance portfolio and ensures appropriate insurance strategies are in place.
- Oversees internal legal counsel and appropriately engages external legal counsel to service the legal needs of the organization.
- Provides litigation oversight as General Counsel, including the oversight of all HIROC litigation on behalf of HHS.
- Manages the flow of legal advice and recommendations throughout the organization so to ensure consistency and compliance in all areas.
- Provides general legal advice on operational, administrative, clinical and health law matters to various stakeholders in the organization.
- Provides support to the Chief Medical Executive and Medical Affairs team on physician-related matters, working closely with Human Resources, as appropriate.
- Participates as a member of the Whistleblower Committee.
Policy Review and Governance
- In the role of Corporate Secretary, assists in the formulation of agendas, meeting minutes and the review of draft reports for submission to HHS Committees, the HHS Board and the HHSRI Board, oversees the preparation of meeting documents submission to HHS Committees, the HHS Board and the HHSRI Board and works with the HHS Committees and HHS Board of Directors to develop or revise internal governance documents.
- Establishes and cultivates positive working relationships with a wide range of external stakeholders, including, but not limited to, educational institutions, auditors, lawyers, tax advisors, peer hospitals and community service providers (healthcare, CAS, law enforcement, etc.).
- Works as a key contributor prior to, during and after the Accreditation Process.
- Develops and reviews corporate by-laws, rules and policies.
- Oversees organizational compliance and required government filings.
Contract/Legal Document Review
- Reviews and provides advice, including risk mitigation, on a broad range of legal documents including but not limited to Letters of Understanding, services agreements, data sharing agreements, procurement, construction contracts, and affiliation/education agreements.
- Oversees the drafting and development of contractual and procurement documents, processes and precedents to ensure risk mitigation for the organization and to establish best practices.
- Leads the legal function to develop, improve and implement legal documents and templates that drive consistency, clarity and efficiency.
Education and Experience
- Law Degree J.D., LL.B.
- Licensed to Practice in Ontario
- Required 10 years’ experience in practicing law
- Preferred 5 years Privacy and Freedom of Information.
- Demonstrated experience in the public sector, preferably the healthcare sector is an asset
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of health law and privacy regulatory framework
- Experience with implementing / overseeing Enterprise Risk Management is an asset
- Experience or knowledge of the litigation process; administrative law processes; dispute resolution
- Demonstrated initiative, independent thinking, conflict resolution and creative problem-solving skills
- Masterful collaboration skills, including demonstrated professionalism and tact in working with internal and external stakeholders
- High level of integrity and trust.
To express interest in this exciting opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence, to Mirams Becker. Applications will be considered immediately; candidates are encouraged to reach out ASAP but no later than September 27 2023.
Hamilton Health Sciences and Mirams Becker are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace; we welcome applications from women, racially visible individuals, people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons. Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal-opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bonafide requirements for the open position. If contacted for this employment opportunity, please advise if you require any accommodation.