The RCMP laid corruption charges against SNC-Lavalin Group and some of its units on Thursday, in relation to its operations in Libya.
A statement from the RCMP said it had charged SNC-Lavalin, SNC-Lavalin Construction Inc., and SNC-Lavalin International Inc. with offering $47.7 million in bribes to Libyan officials between 2001 and 2011.
It also charged the three companies with defrauding Libya of $129.8 million over the same time period.
SNC said the charges were without merit and that it would vigorously defend itself and plead not guilty.
“The charges stem from the same alleged activities of former employees from over three years ago in Libya, which are publicly known, and that the company has co-operated on with authorities since then,” said SNC chief executive Robert Card, in a statement.
SNC’s former chief executive, Pierre Duhaime, resigned in 2012 following the discovery of $56 million in missing funds and was later arrested. He was among several executives accused of fraud and other criminal offenses in a scandal that stretched from Montreal to Tripoli.
The company said if charges are appropriate, they should be applied against the individuals in question and not the company.
SNC said it would continue to fully co-operate with authorities to ensure that any individuals who are believed to have committed illegal acts are brought to justice. It will also consider claims against these individuals to recover any damages the company has suffered as a result.