Firms making announcements include Blaney McMurtry, BD&P, Cassels, Clark Wilson, Dentons, Fasken
Welcome to this week’s roundup of movements among major law firms, in which we sum up significant hires, promotions, departures and other announcements.
Blaney McMurtry LLP
Two associates became partners at the Toronto-based firm:
- Anthony H. Gatensby — insurance coverage counsel group
- Jodi Solomon — employment and labour group
Burnet, Duckworth & Palmer LLP
The Calgary-based firm announced the retirement of Dan McDonald, Q.C., a partner who focused on litigation and arbitration in the areas of commercial law, tax, securities, energy and labour.
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Rick Da Costa rejoined as a partner in the national insurance and reinsurance group in the firm’s Toronto office.
Clark Wilson LLP
Brian Poston became a partner in the insurance practice at the Vancouver-based firm.
Dentons Canada LLP
Dentons welcomed the following partners:
- Laurie LaPalme (Toronto) — corporate and regulatory insurance
- Derek Levinsky (Toronto) — corporate and regulatory insurance
- Marisa Coggin (Toronto) — corporate and regulatory insurance
- Arthur Hamilton (Toronto) — litigation and insurance
- Laurie Livingstone (Calgary) — litigation and insurance
- David Hunter (Vancouver) — corporate law
Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP
Kosta Kostic joined as a partner in the corporate/commercial law practice group in the firm’s Montreal office.
The firm appointed Andrew Bratt, Toronto-based partner, as leader of its employment, labour and equalities group in Canada, and Lorne Rollheiser, Calgary-based partner, as head of its Canadian oil and gas group.
The firm welcomed five new partners:
- Dave Bouchard (Sherbrooke) — labour and employment law
- Brittany Carson (Montreal) — labour and employment law
- Stéphanie Destrempes (Montreal) — franchising and distribution
- Ali El Haskouri (Montreal) — corporate law
- Marie-Nancy Paquet (Sherbrooke) — litigation and dispute resolution
McCarthy Tétrault LLP
Two partners joined the firm’s Montreal office:
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
The firm announced 12 new partners, effective Mar. 1:
- Brett Anderson (Toronto) — corporate
- Christine Jackson (Toronto) — commercial, franchise and distribution
- Amelia Miao (Toronto) — corporate
- Susan Newell (Toronto) — commercial, health
- David Rankin (Toronto) — litigation
- Jeremy Brisset (Montreal) — corporate
- Kelsey Armstrong (Calgary) — corporate
- Matthew Huys (Calgary) — litigation
- Bryce Kustra (Calgary) — real estate
- Shaun Parker (Calgary) — employment and labour
- Faylene Lunn (Ottawa) — intellectual property
- Laura Webb (Vancouver) — emerging and high growth companies
Two new counsel also joined Osler, effective Mar. 1:
- Kristin Ali (Toronto) — commercial, privacy
- Chris Sheridan (Toronto) — tax
Pallett Valo LLP
The firm, based in Peel Region, Ontario, welcomed Eric Blay as a member of its commercial litigation group.
Weintraub Erskine Huang LLP
Barry Weintraub, Sara Erskine and Rebecca Huang have combined their practices to form Weintraub Erskine Huang LLP, a new litigation boutique firm on Bay Street inToronto, effective Feb. 1.
Founding partners Huang and Erskine focus their practice on commercial litigation, while founding partner Weintraub centres his practice on commercial, environmental and employment litigation. Huang also serves as managing partner.
Fraser Dickson, a partner who focuses his practice on commercial litigation, also joined the firm.
The firm announced Wojtek Jaskiewicz as a new partner in the insolvency and bankruptcy practice group at its Toronto office.
Wildeboer Dellelce LLP
The Toronto-based firm welcomed James Hutchinson to its tax practice group.