Evening to celebrate the best in Canadian law is at Toronto’s Liberty Grand
Last year, Canada’s lawyers showed how much they missed social gatherings by selling out the gala for the Lexpert Canadian Law Awards. So, next month, it’s time to put on your tuxedos, glittering dresses, and dancing shoes to do it again at this year’s CLA gala on May 11.
This is the fourth year for the law awards, which launched in 2020. But it’s only the second time it has been held as an in-person event, celebrating the best legal professionals, firms, in-house teams, deals and cases in Canada’s legal sector.
Winners are selected by an independent judging panel of senior legal leaders. They will also be featured in extensive profile-raising media coverage that includes the annual Lexpert Canadian Law Awards commemorative guide.
The gala will be at the Liberty Grand and offer an evening of fine food and drinks and live entertainment. Cocktails start at 6 pm, dinner and awards from 7:30 to 10:30 pm, and post-event fun from 10:30 pm to …. whenever!
And if you need a reminder of how much fun it was last year, just take a peek at this video.
Confirmed sponsors include event partner LEAP Legal Software (Canada); award sponsors Dye & Durham, Lawson Lundell LLP, Lexis Nexis, Lincoln Alexander School of Law at Toronto Metropolitan University and Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP; and media partners the South Asian Bar Association of Toronto and Women General Counsel of Canada.
There are 23 award categories focusing on the achievements of lawyers and law firms over the past year.
- Capital Markets Deal of the Year
- Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year
- Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year
- M&A Deal of the Year
- Mid-Market Deal of the Year
- Commercial Litigation Team of the Year
- Banking & Financial Services Law Department of the Year
- The Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP Award for Construction, Infrastructure and Transportation Law Department of the Year
- The LexisNexis Canada Award for Canadian Law Department of the Year
- The Lawson Lundell LLP Award for Law Department Leader of the Year
- The Dye & Durham Award for Law Department Innovation
- IP Boutique Law Firm
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution Boutique Law Firm of the Year
- The LEAP Legal Software Award for Family Law Firm of the Year
- Boutique Law Firm of the Year
- The LexisNexis Canada Award for Best Use of Technology in a Law Firm
- Regional Law Firm of the Year
- Litigator of the Year
- Managing Partner of the Year
- Pro Bono Initiative of the Year
- Diversity Initiative of the Year
- Female Trailblazer of the Year (In-House Counsel/Private Practice)
- The Lincoln Alexander School of Law Award for Shaping the Future
The shortlist of Excellence Awardees for non-deal and case categories have already been revealed. The list of Excellence Awardees for deal categories will be revealed April 19.
Award-winning business journalist Amanda Lang will be acting as host for the evening. She has been covering North America’s top business stories for over 25 years and is currently the host of Taking Stock, a weekly national television news program airing on CTV.
Lang was previously an anchor for Bloomberg Television Canada’s Bloomberg North with Amanda Lang, and previously was the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s senior business correspondent on its flagship program, The National. Amanda also hosted The Exchange with Amanda Lang, a daily business program airing on CBC News Network, and The Lang and O’Leary Exchange, with Kevin O’Leary, before the pair co-hosted SqueezePlay, on BNN, for six years.
The Power of Why, Lang’s bestselling book, explores the connection between curiosity and success, while her other bestseller, The Beauty of Discomfort, examines how difficult change can be and outlines strategies for how to achieve it.
Music to get you off your feet and on the dance floor that evening will be provided by the Ascension Groove Band. Members of the band deliver high energy musical entertainment that will help you “rock the house.”
Have you reserved your seat for what’s sure to be one of the most memorable events of the 2022 calendar year in the legal profession? If not, what are you waiting for? Click here to register now.